Thursday, February 14, 2013

Wired

“Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them.”   ― James Baldwin

                                  Do you share the same mind set with you parents?
                                  This is a topic my Mom and I have talked about often.

You might not think about it but, until a certain age, every thing you say or think has something to do with your parents. You might think a certain  way because your parents think that way or you might think the opposite just because of your parents. Your parents have a big part in what you say, what you think, what you like, and how you act. In most cases it's not a bad thing, but today I am talking about the few cases that are not good.

Have you ever heard a 5 or 6 year old say something negative about politics or race? You know the child is just repeating what they hear at home. Have you ever seen a younger child with a shirt on that has something to do with "their" political party? This is just another example of how our parents can mold our minds.

Not all mind molding is bad, for the most part it is good and helps us learn, use manners, and things like that. My Mom (for example) is wonderful and has made me a good person and has made me see the beauty in things, be kind to people, and try to help others when I can. She has also let me think what I want to and Be myself.

I live in the south, and here there are a lot of little children who say things that they hear their parents say and a lot of the time things they say have something to do with politics or race. Some of the time these things can be hateful or hurtful.

All I am saying is be careful what you say around your kids, because they will say what you say.

So, to sum up the post, you are who you are because of your parents, which is not a bad thing because  I like to be like my Mom.

Be the YOU you are!
~ K.T

3 comments:

  1. Keilee, this is a GREAT reminder. And it ties in with your last post too - when my daughter hears me complain about my weight (and we basically eat the same things), then I need to realize I am teaching her that it's OK to talk down about your body and things like that!

    You were a reminder I really needed today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put! Such a great reminder (from a young lady's perspective) for us adults to be aware of what we do and how we do it and our words. These things are beyond measure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is excellent. I will never forget sitting with another family and having their child say that if they drew the President they would make him ugly...there was some mention of the family not liking him, the child having heard he was bad, etc. This really changed my view of this family. It's not so much that I agreed or did not agree as that I just don't feel that we should influence our children so negatively. This child must have heard some very negative things, just by the way they expressed this.

    I have had my girls watch The Republican National Convention and the Democratic National Convention, we talk about the issues and how THEY feel about them, sometimes we really simplify it so they can understand. My girls watched the debates. It's important to me that they form their own opinions on politics. It's not always easy to not tell them how I feel about something and we talk openly at dinner about what is going on but we try not to talk about our feelings unless the girls share theirs.

    Don't even get me started on race. While I want my girls to form their opinions on politics, I have told them since they were babies that just because someone looks different on the outside doesn't mean there are any differences on the inside. We live in New Jersey, which is very diverse and thankfully my girls have friends from all races and cultures.

    ReplyDelete